Hagioscope

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

don't hate me because I'm beautiful



This morning I wore these keen red shoes to work at the U to go with my holiday-esque red velvet jacket. I really like these shoes, and they've received many favorable comments from others.

The first person I encountered when I arrived was M, who noticed the shoes immediately. "Oh, wow, check out your red shoes! And they match your jacket," M said. I smiled, thinking I was receiving a compliment. But then she continued, "That's kind of sickening. I hate it when people are so coordinated."

ZzzzzrrrrppWHAT?!

WHY do women say things like this to one another? Why? This remark ranks right up there with the time someone called me a snot because, when she paid me a compliment, I said thank you — instead of falling all over myself to protest that I was unworthy, apparently.

WHY is it so abhorrent to women that one of us should look nice or feel good about herself? When are we going to figure out that we are not diminished by others' OKness?

I told the sickened M not to barf on my good red shoes and scurried away with my tea, feeling a little sick myself. It was not a great way to start the day.

My holiday challenge to you is twofold:
1. Say nice things to people.
2. If people say nice things to you, thank them.

It's not that hard. Really. In fact, it feels kind of good.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Girl, those shoes are HOT, and you're wearing the hell out of them. Anyone who says otherwise is simply intimidated by your beauty.

    Are those the ones you bought during our shopping-for-unmentionables trip at the Stall of America last year?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:29 AM  

  • Life is complicated for some people who can't just enjoy something without putting it through a mental blender.

    By Blogger Aaron Friday, at 9:33 PM  

  • What a cow! Honey, those shoes ROCK, you rock, and matching rocks.

    By Blogger The Cheap Chick, at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home