Hagioscope

Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Unemployment Chronicles, Chapter 13

Wheels are turning, yes they are. This morning I had a client meeting that resulted in (A) praise from her for my work to date, (B) more fun stuff for me to do and (C) an offer of advice on being self-employed from someone who has been there and done that. We're meeting next week to talk that over. Good stuff all around.

Then I hustled across the metro to meet some friends for lunch. Happy birthday, Grassmaster! It was fun to catch up with the cool crowd, as usual.

During lunch, I had mentioned that there was one potential client I hadn't heard from yet, but hoped to. When I got home, there was a message waiting from that client, asking if I could do a quick bit of copyediting over the weekend. Of course I can!

I had another message waiting as well, from a place I had applied to a full month ago. They want me to come in for an interview next Friday. I said yes, but upon taking a second look at the job description, I'm not so sure I'd want this gig. It's full-time, probably on-site in an office, and I probably have a lot more professional experience than the position requires — or would get paid for. It looked great when I'd been laid off less than a week; I couldn't click "apply online" fast enough. But now? I'm not so sure. It's worth going to the interview, of course. Maybe I can convince them I can do the job from home.

I have two interviews tomorrow. This afternoon I realized I didn't know how to get to either of them. Google Maps kept plotzing on the address for the first, so I had to call them, too. Turns out they're in a development so new, most maps don't show it yet. They're also, incidentally, about as geographically far from my house as they can be and still be in the metro area. If this is a full-time, on-site position, that would be a concern. And I have to fill out a several-page application form tonight and take it with me tomorrow. Oy. Yeah, poor me, right?

I had somehow neglected to write down the address for interview #2, so I had to call and ask for it. That one is downtown, and it's potentially more interesting than the first. I just hope I can there on time. Normally I would simply take the train downtown, but tomorrow I'll be nowhere near a train station when I need one, so I'll have to drive, park, and just deal with it.

In other, non-work-related news . . . there isn't any, really, unless you want to hear about how my cats love having me at their beck and call during the day, or about how I need to clean house because company is coming.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home