Hagioscope

Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Unemployment Chronicles, Chapter 2

The big wheel keeps on turning. I spent yesterday occupied with various bits and pieces. Did some paperwork. Made some notes and plans for the project I picked up on Tuesday. Accepted another project, for which I have a meeting this afternoon. Had lunch with my former boss/editor from the magazine. Did some rush work for my one existing client. Made an appointment to see a counselor, since it's covered by my remaining health benefits. Got the Subarushi's oil changed. Watched a stand-up comedy video (Jim Gaffigan; mildly funny, rated PG).

Today I called Mark, my client from Tuesday, and our discussion resulted in an expanded role for me as his marketing consultant, sort of. Er, yes, absolutely, I can do that. You betcha. I also had lunch with other friends from the magazine days and am now making notes for this afternoon's meeting.

What with all this working and networking, I haven't had a whole lot of time to actually look for a job. D'OH! I've applied for a few — and gotten a couple off-the-wall queries that have nothing to do with my qualifications. I'll buckle down to serious searching next week.

My mood remains good, although it took a dip yesterday. I received a note from the unemployment office grumping about the way I'd filled out my online filing form and demanding that I redo part of it on paper ASAP, or my unemployment benefits would be delayed or nonexistent. Well, there's nothing like the threat of destitution to get me motivated, so you'd better believe that form was redone and in the mail by 9:30 this morning.

Tomorrow I'm off to New York to see Laura, Rockapella, and some other groovy people, and drink toasts to new beginnings. It'll be nice to get out of my current environs for a couple days. I'll be back Monday evening, hopefully with photos to share. See you then.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home