Hagioscope

Monday, January 08, 2007

geekery deekery doc

This morning I decided to get better acquainted with my online Google calendar. (I’m already in love with my Google e-mail service, and I spent Friday evening romancing my online Google photo album. I heart Google!) Turns out I can use my Treo/cell phone to text message my Google calendar, and the calendar will reply immediately with my next event, the day’s events, or the next day’s events, depending on what I asked for. Fabulous!

This solves another non-problem I was having. I’ve been wanting to sync my Treo up with my work computer so I could download my meeting schedule and carry it with me. But the sync software on my hard drive is incompatible with my Treo, and the IT department seems disinterested in helping me with this. Not a big deal, since I have so few meetings to keep track of. I just thought it would be cool.

BUT! I realized I could export the calendar from my work computer to a CVS file, then import that into my Google calendar, and voila! It’s all right there, visible online and available for retrieval via text message whenever I choose. Portability problem solved!

Plus, I’ve set my Google calendar to automatically text my Treo every morning with the day’s agenda. How shiny is that? Huh? Huh?

Now all I have to do is (A) consistently export/import my work calendar and (B) remember to carry the Treo, which I normally leave in my purse. Don’t worry, I’ve set myself electronic reminders to do both.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Ah, nerd nirvana! I love it when things you didn't know you needed to fix get fixed... and make your life just a wee bit better.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:59 PM  

  • Nicole —

    The term you're looking for is "nerdvana."

    :-)

    By Blogger Jugglernaut, at 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home