Hagioscope

Monday, July 17, 2006

Cutest!

The Cutest Niece Ever and her parents arrived late Saturday night (a change of plans from arriving late tonight, for which I am grateful). I could use up all the bandwidth on the ‘net enthusing about how adorable and funny and smart and sweet this little girl is. She’s the apple of this doting auntie’s eye. *Sigh.* I don’t feel comfortable posting images of her for the entire www to see, but next time you bump into me, ask to see photos. I’ll have plenty.

While CNE and her parents were out visiting yesterday, Mom and I went to The Devil Wears Prada. It was quite all right. The script’s in-your-face avoidance of subtlety made me think the target audience was tweens and teens, like star Anne Hathaway’s Princess Diaries. The story carries a very “Stand up for yourself and your dreams, girl!” message. And that’s cool by me. Girls and women can never hear too often that’s it’s okay not to be a doormat — to, in fact, both possess and use a spine of one’s own.

However, I’m afraid many of the movie’s charms were lost on me, as I am congenitally fashion-impaired. I imagine that me watching a movie set in the world of haute couture is a lot like my non-martial arts friends sitting through kung fu flicks with me. (I couldn’t guess the difference between Prada and Channel if you paid me, but if you want to discuss the iconic differences between pa kua and hsing-i in The One, I’m your chick.) Which is not to say that I didn’t enjoy seeing pretty people in pretty clothes. I always do. I just wish I’d had an interpreter along. Perhaps the DVD extras can help me out.

As for Meryl Streep: She rocks. Always. Her ball-busting Devil character is the complete opposite of her down-home, Keillor-loving folk singer in A Prairie Home Companion.

And I want her Devil hair. Yes, friends, it’s a true sign of aging when you skip over the young heroine’s string-straight locks (been there, done that, called it adolescence) to the coiffure of a woman of a certain age. So very chic. So very executive. This, of all parts of the movie, may actually be within my grasp.

But the best part of the movie was the location: New York City. It was fun, when certain landmarks appeared onscreen, to poke my mother’s shoulder and whisper, “I saw that when I was there in May.” Thanks, Laura!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home