Hagioscope

Thursday, June 29, 2006

this old thing

Query du jour:
Why is it so hard for women to accept compliments gracefully?

E.g.,

HER: Nice dress!

YOU/ME: What, this old thing?

or

HER: You look great.

YOU/ME: No I don't! I look like a big fat zitty cow.

or

HIM: Your hair is lovely tonight.

YOU/ME: Oh, so it wasn't lovely last night?


Cripes, would it kill us to just smile and say thank you?


When I was growing up in a small midwestern town, the answer was yes, it might kill you, socially, to say thank you. Stop me if you've heard this one before:

HER: You look nice.

YOU/ME: Thank you.

HER: Oh, well, look who thinks she's so hot! Hmph!! A little full of yourself, aren't you?

Yep. Gracious acceptance of a verbal gift is, apparently, not the way to win friends and influence people.

Of course, the reverse was also true. I tried the "No, really, I look terrible" line a few times, only to be met with "Fish for compliments much?" You just can't win.

I have my theories on this, but I'd like to hear other people's. Why is it so hard for women to accept compliments gracefully?

1 Comments:

  • Too funny. This reminded me of my (former) best friend in high school who would scream at me, "just say THANK YOU!!!" when I would dance around any compliments I received.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home