Hagioscope

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Spring!

It's a day of newness. The sun is bright, the breeze is mild, the snow is melting. The world looks decidedly grubby right now, but in a happy, hard-playing, fresh-from-making-mud-pies, gonna-sleep-like-a-baby-tonight way.

The sense of awakening is impossible to resist. I went out for a stroll today and put 10,000+ steps on my pedometer without even trying. Everywhere people are Outside!, sweeping garages, tuning engines, walking dogs, shooting hoops, anything that meant feeling genuine sunshine on their faces. When I got home I threw open the doors and windows of my home to invite some fresh air in, and I cleaned my house as Mother Nature is cleaning hers.

I took my iPod, Atlas, with me on that walk. Today is the first time I've ever done such a thing. I skipped the Walkman craze and have spent very little time using earphones — very little time listening to music anywhere but in the car, for that matter. But by the time the first a cappella tune finished playing as I ambled past the park, I was a convert for life.

I. Had. No. Idea.

Hearing some of those old, old favorites up close, in stereo, without interference was almost like hearing them for the first time. The music fills my head and pushes everything else out. Even in close blends, I can tell distinguish the parts, not only by sound, but also by location: bass in my medulla oblongata, high tenor right about where mystics say my third eye should be. There are also more layers to some of these recordings than I ever noticed before. Needless to say, there's much more walking and listening in my future.

OK, enough excitement for one afternoon. Now it's time to make some pasta with pesto for this week's lunches. Chow!

1 Comments:

  • Pete Townsend avoids the Ipods I am sure. Good to catch up with you! Ciao for now!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home